We arrived in Arles, France yeterday about 1:45 PM after another ride on the TGV fast train from Paris. This train was a little older, but just as fast. It is baffling to me that Americans don't have this. We traveled over 500 miles in 4 hours in relative comfort, could walk around, eat, bathroom, and visit, all the while this gorgeous countryside was going by.. I know more Americans would travel and see their own country if this was available.
Yesterday, we tramped around Arles (which is relatively small, so it was no problem) and Mr. Geography wanted to get the "lay of the land" which means every step or two he gets out the map. It is great traveling with Jerry because I never need to know where I am. The disadvantage is, I never know where I am. We had a crepe (cheese and ham, yum) and a quiche (double yum) for a snack about 4:30 and then came back to our hotel D'Arlatan. I rested and treated myself to a deep, deep, long bath and Jerry called people on the computer. I think he misses having all you guys to talk to. We have just about exhausted everything we know.
At 7PM Andrea came back to our hotel to meet us for dinner. She had made reservations at a pretty fancy place about 12 miles out of Arles which has a Michelin Star. That means highly rated, and I can see now, after eating there, what the difference is. OMG!!! Just the service was 10 notches up from what we were used to and the FOOD...wow. It was a bit pricey but well worth the experience. The place has extensive gardens which provide the "freshest" ingredients and herbs. A night to remember. Andi drove us back to the city center and we walked back to the hotel.
Today is visiting Arles monuments, changing hotels (We are here only 1 night), and a fast trip with Andi after work down to Aix en Provence, which is close by and she has a meeting to go to so we will just hang out and then have dinner. Can't wait! Caio!
PS I will try to post some pictures sometime, but probably not for today's post.
- hurry up and wait
- Arrival in Paris
- Arrival in Paris Pictures
- Pictures of Day 2 - Eating, Walking, and Art
- Day 2 - Walking, eating, and Art
- Day Three - Shopping and Wine
- Day 3 - Shopping and Wine- pictures
- Traveling and Roma
- Roma days 5 & 6
- Arrival in Rome - Hotel, eating out, Vatican & St,...
- more Vatican and St., Peter's photos
- Colosseum and Roman Forum & Palantine pictures
- Hello from Tuscany
- Florence: The city of ART
- pictures from Florence
- Back "home" to Paris
- Paris - Tuileries - Musse de Orangerie & "stuff" w...
- Amsterdam: Cool fall weather
- Sept. 21 in Paris
- Provence: The best for last.
- Arles: Day 2 - Old stuff and more old stuff
- Arles - Day 3, Market, Aqueducts, and Vineyards
- The Louvre
- Pictures from Last Days in Paris: Sainte Chapell...
- Last days in Paris
- ▼ September (25)